THE WRITE DIRECTION - BELFAST WORKSHOP
On Friday 12th November, we will be running a panel session entitled THE WRITE DIRECTION, looking at how young screenwriters and film-makers can break into the industry. As part of Northern Ireland Screen's drive to develop a sustainable and dynamic screen industry in Northern Ireland, we are committed to developing grass roots film talent.
The workshop will take the form of a panel event, moderated by renowned industry pundit and former European Editor of trade bible Variety, ADAM DAWTREY. Key members of the panel will include London-based literary agents MATTHEW BATES of Sayles Screen and ROB KRAITT of AP Watt, as well as the award-winning writer GUY HIBBERT and actor/filmmaker LIA WILLIAMS. Further panel participants are to be confirmed.
The session, aimed at upcoming screenwriters and film-makers, will look at key questions such as:
- What are literary agents currently looking for?
- How do they make their choices?
- How does a screenwriter break into the industry?
- If I’m a feature film writer and haven’t had a break, should I switch to television?
- Are soaps a good way in? Or short film?
- Am I at a disadvantage if I only write and I don’t want to direct as well?
- What you need to secure an agent? Is it a Catch 22? I can’t get an agent before I get a credit. I can’t get a credit before an agent.
- What is the market looking for in terms of talent? Is there a certain “type” or “trend” right now?
- Should I align myself with a producer or production company or keep my options open?
- How involved do agents get in terms of packaging and producing? Can agents help bring finance to the table?
- How a successful writer/agent partnership works and tips for good agent relations.
THE WRITE DIRECTION
Friday 12 November 2010 at 3.30-5.00pm including Q&A
The Crescent Arts Centre, 2-4 University Road Belfast BT7 1NH
Please note that this workshop takes places BEFORE the BAFTA/Rocliffe New Writing Forum event, which is at the same venue on the same date at 7.00pm. If you have already registered for the BAFTA/Rocliffe event, you must register separately for this workshop. If you are attending both events, we have made provision for hot food between 5.30pm and 6.30pm.
The event is FREE OF CHARGE. Please email email@example.com with your name NOW to reserve your place with "THE WRITE DIRECTION" in the subject line.